Your happiness is your own responsibility. (Raha jipe mwenyewe)
This is something I have read and heard on many platforms and it has really stuck with me.
You cannot sit and wait for other people to make you happy. It is not only unacceptable, it is also unrealistic and impossible. Expecting others to make us happy is one of the major reasons most of us are always sad/angry…(at least most of the time).
It is too much of a responsibility to expect your husband or wife or friends to make you happy all the time. They will certainly disappoint you and you will die seeking something that you will never find.
After pondering on this fact for many days, it rang so true with my heart that I decided to take action and find happiness for myself. I have found simple and cheap (some don’t even require a single cent) ways to keep myself happy. In fact, am happiest when am not spending any money.
Here are some of the most meaningful ways I’ve found to give myself happiness:
- Dancing with my son. He is 2 and has no care in the world. When it comes to dancing, he will shake what his mama gave him (am a generous mama, so I gave him a lot), without thinking twice. You should see us on Friday and Saturday evenings grooving to the upbeat Mugithi tunes from bands that have made it their jobs to entertain us so well on Njata TV. True story. By 10.30p.m, we are extremely tired, but extremely happy too and the boost of positivity is enough to last me another week.
- Cooking. Many people mention this and it may be a cliche, but cooking is therapeutic. I love it. I enjoy mixing up ingredients and trying new things. I also love honoring my family’s requests for mandazi almost every weekend. I am in debt right now because I have failed to make mandazi for almost a month now.
- Reading. I love browsing through the internet and finding useful articles, but I mostly like to read real books, printed on real paper. There is something refreshing about the smell of a new book, and something wildly exciting about discovering the stories behind characters in a story. You should definitely try it. You will definitely forget your troubles and immerse yourself in the lives of other people. One of the books am really swooning over is the one below. I hear its really good, click on the picture and lets try it together.
- TV. This is my guilty pleasure, but I try not to overindulge. In fact, I watch only a handful of shows that I really like and am more into series and movies, as opposed to soap operas and that kind of stuff. My favorites right now are The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Tyrant, The Last Ship, and a few cooking shows that I watch online.
- Exercise. I’ve not been working out much lately, but I know how good I feel when I actually do it. Once you get the groove of exercising, it is not only healthy, it is also super fun. I especially like exercises that can be done at the comfort of the home. My son is my favorite workout partner and he already knows how to do push-ups and sit-ups, and he helps me count to ten, just to make sure I finish doing the sets.This book offers some simple, yet effective workouts and the added bonus is that it comes with a DVD.(Click on the picture for more info. What more motivation do you need?
- Swimming. I almost forgot to include this one, but I love it so much. There is nothing as refreshing as a swim on a hot summer afternoon. The fact that it burns a lot of calories, and keeps the heart healthy is an added advantage. The happiness is what we are after.
Are some of these things in your list of ways you give yourself happiness?? If not how do you do it?? Am open to more happiness tips, since life is too short to live a sad life.
Do not forget to follow my blog. Just subscribe via email on the right hand sidebar to receive an update whenever I write post new stuff.